Guidance from Abraham Lincoln
As the leadership in Washington deliberates a “way out” of the current credit and banking crisis, it would be well for them to look back
at history, and particularly, focus on the words of Abraham Lincoln which would serve them very well at this stage.
- You cannot help the poor, by destroying the rich.
- You cannot strengthen the weak, by weakening the strong.
- You cannot bring about prosperity, by discouraging thrift.
- You cannot lift the wage earner up, by pulling the wage payer down.
- You cannot further the brotherhood of man, by inciting class hatred.
- You cannot build character and courage, by taking away men's initiative and independence.
- You cannot help men permanently, by doing for them what they could and should, do for themselves.
Incredibly wise words, spoken years ago and our Washington policymakers still don’t get it.
/s/ LeRoy Collins, Jr.