Mr. Burns,...in response to your query...
I have not publicly endorsed any candidate for President in 2008, largely because no one has asked. But since you
did...I am supporting John McCain because:
1. he puts National security as issue #1, as I do. None of the others have so stated, because the public
polls show the majority put the economy first.
2. he has been endorsed by over 100 Retired Flag and General Officers, many of whom I know, and some of
whom were Johnís fellow POWs;
3. I know him personally (he was two years behind me at the U.S. Naval Academy, and in my Battalion), yet
he did not endorse my candidacy for the Republican Nomination for the U.S. Senate in 2006 (he endorsed
none in my race);
4. he has the most experience in foreign policy of any of the others, and we ARE involved worldwide;
5. he has endured the strife and trials of a Prisoner of War in service to our country, and two of his
fellow POWs have personally appealed to me for him.
There are others, but this is enough for me, and hopefully for you. Thanks for your interest in my opinion. I
respect yours, as well. I think these are the most critical times for our country since I was born (1934), and we
must take action to survive.
/s/ LeRoy Collins, Jr.